periodicity n : the quality of recurring at intervals [syn: cyclicity]
property of being periodic
- Czech: periodicita
Periodicity is the quality of occurring at regular intervals or periods (in time or space) and can occur in different contexts:
- A clock marks time at periodic intervals.
- A metronome ticks at periodic intervals of time.
- A publication published at periodic intervals can be called a "periodical", for example a magazine.
- In mathematics, a function whose output contains values that repeat periodically is called a periodic function.
- In chemistry, the periodic table is a table which classifies the chemical elements by means of the periodicity of their chemical properties.
- In physics, period is the number of cycles as a result of time (time/cycle). The amount of time it takes to complete one full revolution. Period is also the inverse of frequency.
- In music theory, periodicity is described as "predictability gives rise to expectations".
- Standing waves crest at periodic intervals of distance.
- In finance, the periodicity of a loan describes the interval between payments.
periodicity in German: Periodizität
periodicity in Dutch: Periodiek (tijd)
periodicity in Russian: Периодичность
Indian file, alternation, annual period, array, articulation, bank, baseball season, basketball season, beat, buzz, catena, catenation, chain, chain reaction, chaining, cold season, concatenation, concert season, connection, consecution, continuum, course, cycle, cyclicalness, descent, drone, dry season, endless belt, endless round, file, filiation, fluctuation, football season, frequency, frequency band, frequency spectrum, gamut, gradation, harmonic motion, hum, intermittence, intermittency, libration, line, lineage, meter, monotone, nexus, nutation, off season, oscillation, pendulation, pendulum, pendulum motion, period, periodicalness, piston motion, plenum, powder train, progression, pulsation, queue, rainy season, range, rank, reappearance, recurrence, regular wave motion, reoccurrence, resonance, resonance frequency, reticulation, return, rhythm, rotation, round, routine, row, run, scale, season, seasonableness, seasonality, sequence, series, single file, social season, spectrum, string, succession, swath, the season, thread, tier, time of year, train, undulation, vacillation, vibrancy, vibratility, vibration, wavering, windrow